The information below relates to version 1 of the leave system, which applies to all accounts created before 3 September 2016 that have not been migrated to version 2 of the leave system.
If, however, you are already using version 2 of the leave system, you can find helpful information in the following section:
Recording Leave Taken
Payroll Administrators can record leave taken by employees by capturing the days on a calendar linked to the employee’s profile. This can be done as follows:
- Go to an employee’s profile and click on Record Leave Taken.
- Click on the day on which the employee is taking / took leave.
- Select the leave Type from the drop-down menu.
- Edit the To date if the employee is taking / took more than one day.
- public holidays will be excluded from these dates automatically
- weekends will be excluded for employees on a Fixed schedule unless weekends form part of their Regular Working Days
- weekends will be included for employees on a Casual / Temp schedule
- Click Confirm to the right of the calendar.
- If you have finished recording leave, click Save; otherwise, repeat the above steps to record additional leave.
Hourly paid employees will be paid for leave taken while salaried employees generally won’t be paid extra when they take leave – their leave pay is included in their salary as the amount is fixed. More information about leave pay can be found in the following article:
Note: only leave days recorded for the current or previous periods are taken into account. In other words, future-dated leave will only be counted on the payslip of the period to which the leave relates.
With regards to leave days for previous periods, please note that all aspects of historic leave captured during the current month will reflect on the current month’s payslip. For example, if you’re busy creating the payslip for March 2017 and you record leave for December 2016, the leave days taken and any associated pay will reflect on the March 2017 payslip.
If you want to capture leave take-on balances or need to do some other type of adjustment* to leave balances, you can make use of the Leave Adjustments functionality. It will enable you to make changes to the balances at any time during the year, even after finalising your first payslip.
*Please note: you will be able to enter positive and negative adjustments. Positive adjustments will increase the balance of that leave type, while negative adjustments will decrease the balance.
The following process should be followed to make adjustments to employees individually:
- Go to an employee’s profile and click on Add (next to Payslip Inputs).
- Click on Leave Adjustment under Leave.
- On this screen, you can adjust the annual leave balance.
- Click Save.
Alternatively, you could make leave adjustments in bulk, as follows:
- Go to Employees > Bulk Actions.
- Click on Payslip Inputs under Payroll Inputs.
- Click on the drop-down menu showing “Basic Salary” by default and select “Leave Adjustment” at the bottom of the drop-down list.
- Check the box under Add and then you’ll be able to enter adjustments to the annual leave balances on that screen.
- Click Save.
Note: any leave adjustment that is made will only take effect / be included in the balance once you have finalised the payslip you were working on when the adjustment was entered under Payslip Inputs.
Extra Annual Leave
The Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 specifies the minimum number of annual leave days that employers have to grant their employees, which is the number of regular working days in a 4 week period. For example, an employee working 5 days a week is entitled to a minimum of 5 x 4 = 20 annual leave days per year.
SimplePay is set up to automatically allocate this minimum leave entitlement to employees based on their regular working hours.
However, you can decide to give your employees more than the minimum entitlement; for example, you might choose to increase the above-mentioned employee’s entitlement to 25 days. Therefore, you will be giving them 5 extra annual leave days per year.
The process to capture such an addition to employees’ leave entitlement / accrual on the system is as follows:
- Go to an employee’s profile and click on Add (next to Regular Inputs).
- Click on Extra Annual Leave under Leave.
- Enter the number of extra Working days per year you want to grant them; e.g. 5 in the above example.
- Click Save.